Dienstag, 17. April 2007

the power of green

as I am fed up of translating a stupid mith about why the Styrian Erzberg was called so, I decided to have a look at the home page of the NYTimes especially because of what happened yesterday. but as I didn't want to read all the articles I just watched the video summarizing how that crazy guy started shooting other students in the campus and why the university authority didn't do anything to prevent the massacre from happening. it seems that around 7.15 am the killer opened fire for the first time. at 9.26 am he shot the second time. why didn't the rector of the college close down all the buildings?
I don't think it's very important now after 32 or 33 persons were shot to death.
this is one of the reasons why I don't like the US! too many weapons! and people are so crazy that they really use them!!!

however, this isn't what I wanted to write in this entry.
as I said, I watched the video, got angry because there are too many disturbed people who can buy a gun, and decided to watch something else.
I watched the interview to Thomas L. Friedman talking about how climate changes (ie hurricane Cathrina) and the recent acts of terrorism (9/11) have to make Americans think they should change their way of living. A decrease in electricity consumption is one of the most important things the Americans along with their government have to achieve. first of all because the oil sellers are situated in potentially terroristic areas (Saudi Arabia is an example) and secondly because of CO2 emissions , the main cause of global warming.
he mentions "chindia prices" (affordable and competitive prices for China and India) for biofuel.
he says than that every State in the US has to foolow the example of California. this State has one of the lowest electricity consumpion in the country because the state government set high standards and taxes on pollutants (like gasoline).
he says that all western nations should become leaders of efficiency.
he mentions in the end a "green" new deal and petropolitics (with its first law).
the green new deal has to reconnenct the US to the real world economically, industrially and politically.

I didn't take note of the details. I just wrote down the main points of th einterview and summarized it with my own words (to some extent).

tonight I'm too tired to do my usual vocabulary work on the respective article as it consists of 11 pages.. I'll do it tomorrow!

well, take care and turn off the light if u don't need it!!
good night!

Keine Kommentare: