Sonntag, 15. April 2007

JW presentation

hi!!

as I know that paying 200% attention during presentations is almost impossible.. that's why I'm uploading my vocabulary work. I included words which may not sound very significant, but I still think they might be worth reading.

Vocabulary

Punts salad days osculate queasy marauder chuckle pishogue serendipity


The marauders attacked with a violence that terrified the villagers.

According to figures released today by the Central Bank, Irish punts worth €810m remain in circulation despite the end of the dual circulation period last Saturday.

'Salad days' is used these days to refer to the days of carefree innocence and pleasure of our youth.
Salad days: It appears in Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra of 1606, in the speech at the end of Act One in which Cleopatra is regretting her youthful dalliances with Julius Caesar: “My salad days, When I was green in judgment”. So the phrase came to mean “a period of youthful inexperience or indiscretion”, though it only became popular from the middle of the nineteenth century on. It now often refers to a period in the past when somebody was at the peak of their abilities or earning power, in their heyday, not necessarily when they were young.

Osculate?” I asked. “What’s that?”
“Let me show you,” Luke said. He leaned over the bench toward me and kissed me.

Catherine felt very queasy after the ride on the roller-coaster.

It was hard to resist a chuckle when we saw the looks on their faces.

There was some pishogue (superstition) about witches being attracted to a house with more than three working clocks in it.

Serendipity. Look for something, find something else, and realize that what you've found is more suited to your needs than what you thought you were looking for.”


hoping it can be useful, I wish you a pleasant sunny Sunday evening!!

Keine Kommentare: