Mittwoch, 25. April 2007

Manchester - Milan: first leg

champions league!!

it's always exciting watching a Champions league match! especially if one of the 2 teams is your favourite team!!
exactely, yesterday Manchester United played against AC Milan in Manchester, and Milan has been my favourite team since I was born..
you have to know in Italy soccer is a very big deal and I think it is the only thing which still keeps us together...
as I'm studying in Austria I don't have the chance to watch soccer (Italian league) every Sunday afternoon but when it comes to Cahmpions League I don't care if I have to go alone to a pub to watch it, because I would do it! and I used to do it indeed! I hadn't got a tv untill january but I never missed a Milan game! I usually went to one of the 2 Irish pubs downtown and sometimes even alone. I didn't care being the only girl there, as I am as passionate as any other guy when it comes to Milan!

it goes without saying that yesterday I watched the game, that I shouted and swore like hell!!

the fist-half was excellent! rapid passes, almost no fouls, nice one-twos between Seedorf and Kaka, and two magnificent goals by Kaka!! not like the one "scored" by Cristiano Ronaldo (actually the goal was than registered as an own goal by Dida, Milan's goalkeeper).

I really had a good feeling! but in the second-half Gattuso had to leave the field because of a foot injury and also Paolo Maldini (our captain and an institution of the Italian soccer) had to be replaced by Bonera!
as a result we soffered during the last 30 minutes while the English team was litterally assaulting our net! and right in the 91st minute Rooney scored the 3rd goal which meant Manchester won 3:2.

it's ok! we didn't deserve to win. Italian players were so tired in the second-half that they couldn't even pass anymore!
Manchaster played well and deserved to win. now I'm looking forward the return leg next week on Wednesday!

as I read an article from the Guardian online about the match, here's a list of the most important vocabulary (at least for me..)

second / return leg
quarter-final
semi-final
to win a tackle
winger
striker
midfielder
goalkeeper
own goal
header (Kopfball)
to lob Kaka lobbed the ball over Heinze
booking (Gelbe Karte)
a foul on sbody
unmarked
to beat the goalkeeper


and now some vocabulary you can use in the everyday language:

resemblance: the resemblance with her sister was striking
to collide: the car collided with the bus at the crossing
mayhem: he wasn't distracted by the mayhem going on there and kept doing his homework
menace: Kaka was the only source of menace during the game
sluggish: the market was experiencing a sluggish demand for agricultural products
frantic: he got in a frantic state when he heard that his brother was kidnapped in Nigeria
to factor in: during your 2-month journey in Laos you should factor in getting sick.

Keine Kommentare: